"Things won are done,
Joy's Soul lies in the Doing."
- William Shakespeare

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cheap & Cheerful

A feature in which I share a good deal I happen upon...be it wine, food, or just something fun...If you have something Cheap & Cheerful you'd like to share, leave a link or suggestion in the Comments section at the end of this post!  Enjoy!


I have a tendency to go on about the same things.  (And on.  And on...)  I know this about myself.  I know that my Cheap & Cheerful posts were created with the intention of including good deals on all sorts of things, not just wine.  But let me just tell you something:  I am on a Cheap & Cheerful wine mission.  I sort of spontaneously decided this at the store the other day, when for some idiotic reason, I felt the need to justify my five bottles of less-than-$7-a-bottle wine.  (Who the hell cares, by the way?  Surely not the cashier at Trader Joe's.  Surely they're not judging me for being a cheapskate...me, with an additional three bottles of Chuck for cooking...Okay, total of eight bottles, then.)  So, when the lovely gal at the register comments on a particular bottle, asking if I've tried it, and says that it's quite good, I throw out a somewhat sheepish:  "I'm on a Cheap & Cheerful wine mission!  Searching for the most drinkable, least expensive wines!"  Possibly louder than necessary.  Sheesh.  I can be such a dunce.

But then I think, hey!  Why not?  Nothing wrong with a mission, after all.  Especially one of such great importance as this.  Well, okay, maybe it's not vital to our very existence.  But it certainly doesn't hurt, right?  On with it!


So, meet Seccola.  One of the featured wines you find at the end of the aisle, taunting you to try, tempting you with its dangerously low price of only $4.99 a bottle.  Which could go perilously wrong, couldn't it?  It could taste like $4.99 wine, and then what?  You're out $4.99.  Not such a terrible risk, after all.

Thing is, though, its taste doesn't match its price.  I'm not claiming that Seccola could be confused with a great bottle of vino, mind you.  I'm just saying that you needn't be ashamed of this one.

Taste...well, it's got a wee bit of a sparkle to it.  Which I adore.  There is something grand about breaking out a bottle of bubbles for no particular reason.  (I may possibly make a habit of it.  That's just fine.  I'm pretending to be French.)   This isn't bubbly in the champagne or prosecco sort of way.  This frizzante reminds me a bit of a vinho verde, like this one, or this one...only just the tiniest bit sweet.  Not over-the-top-dessert-wine-sweet, just a background hint of honey, enough bubbles to make you feel festive, and imminently drinkable.


Go get some.  Cheers, me dears!



6 comments:

  1. I love this wine. I got it at Trader Joe's which is about an hour and a half drive for me. Any other stores carry this wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm not sure who else may carry it, I also bought it at TJ's. If you do find it, let me know!

      Delete
  2. Our store just started carrying this and I am in LOVE. My favorite TJs Prosecco is $6.99 a bottle, up from $4.99 when I first started buying it a few years back. At $3.99 a bottle, for us in CA, Seccola has become a fast favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have looked everywhere for the clorie count for this beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drank 14 cases over a period of 20 mos. I just love this wine. Went to TJ's and learned that they no longer carry this. I am so disappointed. Where can I buy this? can anyone tell me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seccola is now Secco. I just purchased my 1st bottle for $4.99 at Trader Joe's this past Thursday.

    ReplyDelete