"Things won are done,
Joy's Soul lies in the Doing."
- William Shakespeare

Monday, October 31, 2011

It's What's on the Inside

I've only time for a quickie this morning, fine friends, but it's a good bit of love to share.  You may recall that I mentioned something about electric watermelon radishes in my last post.  These are a new-to-me discovery, thanks to our CSA delivery.  When I opened our box, here's what I pulled out:


A rather unassuming veg, no?  I actually thought it was a turnip, until I saw the list of goodies.  Hm.  So, it turns out, our mothers were right.  (Don't tell them that, though.)  It's most definitely what's on the inside that counts.  Check this baby out: 


You see why I call them electric.  These gorgeous radishes are nothing short of psychedelic.  Well, okay, they're a bit short of that, seeing as they don't cause hallucinations.  But you get my drift.  Food should always be pleasing to the eye, and fun to eat, and in my mind (at least if I'm doing the cooking), simple and straightforward.  What could be simpler than slicing some radishes, sprinkling them with a little coarse sea salt, and serving them with a bowl of melted butter, a la francais?


The taste of these wonderful treats is crisp, clean, and well, rather like a radish.  But, and perhaps this is because I'm eating with my eyes as much as my mouth, I could swear they taste just a wee bit sweeter, and more delicate, than your everyday variety.  And if my eyes are tricking my mouth, who am I to complain?

If you can get your hands on some, they will not disappoint.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment