"Things won are done,
Joy's Soul lies in the Doing."
- William Shakespeare

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

That's How We Roll

Ahhh...here's to summer.  At long last.

Had a lovely bike ride and picnic today, with the Mister and the kiddos.  And yes, my bike is pink, and certainly not intended for the mountains where it gets ridden.  But, whatever.  She's pretty.  And well, yes, I may be rocking the flip flops and skirt as my biking gear of choice.  That's just how I roll.  

There is absolutely nothing serious about my biking adventures.  Often there may be a bit of huffing and puffing, and possibly some cussing, because of those unavoidable hills.  But not today.  Today was my favorite kind of biking day.  A flat day.  Yes indeed, merrily we rolled along, and nary a drop of sweat to be seen.


Perfect day, really.


The mountains, my favorite people, good food...

Oh yes, and the CSA box today!  Among all the loveliest of lovelies, we had another amazing cache of strawberries.  Tonight, after a seriously massive salad and fresh loaf of bread, I made up a quick whip cream/yogurt mix, while Tyler prepped the berries.  I have a recipe for a Blueberry Fool, in my Williams' Sonoma Outdoor Living Cookbook, which combines plain yogurt with whipping cream, and layers that much lighter treat with a spiced blueberry puree.  To honor these strawberries, I saw no need whatsoever to mess with cooking or seasoning them.  So, here's our very quick, very delicious dessert:



Strawberries with Yogurt Whipped Cream - serves 4

1 1/2 pints fresh strawberries
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1 Tbs confectioners' sugar

In a large bowl, beat the cream and yogurt together, until it thickens, but not as far as forming stiff peaks.  Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla, and beat another minute or two.  Layer the yogurt cream with the berries, and luxuriate in the fact that it's only half naughty for you.  And wholly nice.

That's how we roll.  Have a good one.





No comments:

Post a Comment