"Things won are done,
Joy's Soul lies in the Doing."
- William Shakespeare

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Never Too Much of a Good Thing

I recently had an abundance of figs that I was kind of tired of eating.  There they sat, slowly softening, definitely on their way to going off if I didn't do something with them.  "But what?", I asked myself.  "Ah...Aha!"  (I do answer myself sometimes.  It helps to know that at least I'm listening, when I spend the day with four kids, and nobody responds to my nagging...erm...I mean, questions.)  Anyway...I remembered that I'd seen a recipe for Fig Newtons on I Made That!, so off I went, on a mission.

Okay, by off I went, I mean I wandered from the fridge, where I'd been pondering those figs, over to the computer, which is, oh, about five feet away.  I know, bloody hard work.  I'm practically a pioneer here.

And, to be perfectly honest, even with a lovely recipe in front of me, and none of it apparently difficult...I still half-arsed it.  I made the filling for the fig newtons...and called it jam!  Sometimes I cannot be bothered with pastry, and you may recall that I've been on a bit of a baking hiatus round these parts, after a few mishaps, involving that doddering old oven of mine.  So, I opted to keep it simple, reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe just a bit, and call it good.

I'll post my adaptation of Brandi's Fig Newton filling...but do go check out her recipe on her awesome site:  lookimadethat.com  She does some amazing stuff.



Fig Newton Jam - adapted from I Made That! Fig Newtons
-enough to fill two wee jars (I know, very exact, oh well, deal.)

1 pound figs, stems removed and coarsely chopped
3 Tbs water
1 tsp pure vanilla 
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice


Place all ingredients, except lemon juice, in a large saucepan, over medium heat, until the mixture begins to simmer.  Lower heat to cook fruit gently for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, and adding another tablespoon or so of water to prevent scorching.  When the mixture is a nice, jammy consistency, remove from the heat, add the lemon juice, and blend with an immersion blender.

That's it!  How simple could that be?  (Says Nécole, answering herself, again:  Very!)  The jam will keep for a few weeks in the fridge...but I seriously doubt it will last that long!


Lovely atop toast, on crepes or waffles, or over yogurt, with a sprinkling of granola.

Happy Day to you!

2 comments:

  1. I bet this would also be lovely spread on a cracker with cheese. Yum. I'm going to have to get a bag of figs. Thanks for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that tasty idea! I'd best be getting some delicious cheese and crackers...cheers!

    ReplyDelete