"Things won are done,
Joy's Soul lies in the Doing."
- William Shakespeare

Monday, August 22, 2011

Breaking the Fast

I love that the meaning of the word Breakfast is one of those oh-so-literal meanings:  Breaking the Fast.  I also love that it sounds like I've been spending my sleep time in a truly sacrosanct activity,  while in reality, I've been snoozing away, possibly drooling contentedly on my pillow.  Dreaming for a Cause?  I'll take it.  It makes breakfast taste that much better.

I found this recipe for Petite Crustless Quiches on French Revolution.  A truly marvelous food site.  Go visit.  The food is unequivocally gorgeous.  And French.  Mais oui.

Going with my usual fudge-a-recipe-with-what-I've-got bit, I did just that.  Fudged it, and used what I had in the fridge.  I imagine you could adapt these delightfully easy-to-make mini quiches in so many ways.  Changing the herbs and cheese, as I did...adding bacon, or tiny diced veggies...the possibilities are positively endless.  Go play with your food.


Petite Crustless Quiches - adapted from the French Revolution recipe
-makes 12 mini quiches

Ingredients
8 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
3-4 Tbs fresh herbs, I used basil,chives, and parsley
1/4 cup feta
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and lightly oil a 12 cup muffin pan.

Whisk the eggs and milk together, and season with salt and pepper.  Mix in the herbs.  Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups, and top each with a bit of crumbled feta.

Bake for 20-22 minutes, until the quiches appear firm, puffed, and lightly golden brown.  Allow to rest in the pan for 5 minutes, before loosening with a knife.  Serve hot or at room temperature.


Bon petit déjeuner!

No comments:

Post a Comment