"Things won are done,
Joy's Soul lies in the Doing."
- William Shakespeare

Monday, August 13, 2012

Picking


For the first time, since we've been back in the States (7 years!), I've actually made it to the blueberry farm.  Every year, I've had the best of intentions, and every year, I've missed those blues.  Not this year, my friends.  On Friday, M and the Kiddos and I picked our hearts out.



This picking business is addictive, I tell you.  Long past the point where the Kiddos gave up, and sat on the grass, nibbling their haul and playing with ladybugs, M and I picked.  And picked.  And then picked a bit more.  It was nearly impossible to stop.  Each new cache of plump, juicy berries discovered urged us to keep on picking.  With the sun gently warming the berries, the mountains standing sentinel in the background, we managed quite a load.


Forty pounds between us, to be exact.  That's a lot of blueberries.

So now, we've got blueberry jam in the cupboard, blues in the freezer, a blueberry chocolate pavlova birthday cake, blueberry vodka on the go:


...and a blueberry crumble, a la local kitchen, which was devoured.


Should you be in possession of some gorgeous, ripe blues, you'd really best get on over to local kitchen for the recipe.  It's incredibly simple to prepare, foolproof really, and get this:  I am not a baked fruit girl...and I loved it.  This new-found respect for baked fruit could have something to do with the fact that we picked it ourselves.  Or it could just be an outstanding recipe.  Either way, it begs to be made and enjoyed.

And today?  Guess what the Kiddos and I are picking...


Blackberries.  And the best bit...they're free, and a short bike ride away.


I'm sensing a black and blue crumble for dessert tonight, using the above recipe as guide.

Enjoy the sunshine today!

1 comment:

  1. I love your photos. Another recipe to try is blueberry basil vinegar, also from Local Kitchen! And Blueberry, Lemon and Chile jam. Your blackberries look gorgeous. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete