"Things won are done,
Joy's Soul lies in the Doing."
- William Shakespeare

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cheap & Cheerful

Do you know about this?


Fred Meyer is now stocking a selection of sea salts, at their olive bar.  The above container of sel gris, (half of which I've used already), cost me a whopping $2.70.  For roughly a third of a cup.  (The weight got ripped off the sticker, so I've no idea the exact amount.)  How cheap, and how very cheerful, is that?

Among other varieties, I noticed a Hawaiian Pink, a Hawaiian Black, fleur de sel, and of course the sel gris.  I don't know about you folks, but that makes me all sorts of stoked.


Sel gris is grey salt, aka Celtic sea salt, and is typically harvested in France.  It's a lovely, rather moist salt, with a much more complex flavor than regular table salt.  And it's usually a hell of a lot more expensive.  (Which does beg the question:  How is Freddie's able to sell it so cheaply?  Hm.)  I love sprinkling this stuff over a buttered baguette, perhaps with some thinly sliced radishes.  Or over some tasty homemade ricotta, atop a slice of bread.  Oh, heavenly.

Using just a bit of what tends to be thought of as a luxury food really makes a difference in a meal, don't you think?  Whether it's a sprinkle of a gourmet salt, a grating of fine cheese, or a glass of good wine...it makes the meal special.  And why not?  Every meal can be special, if we just take a wee bit of time to make it so.  So much the better when we find a good deal, that doesn't break the bank.

And I do love salt.

Have a well-seasoned day, my friends.



2 comments:

  1. Necole!
    Your blog is a delight!
    I have been "backtracking through the yumminess"!
    I will be visiting often!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Lynne! Cheers to the good life!

      Delete