"Things won are done,
Joy's Soul lies in the Doing."
- William Shakespeare

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Something Savory

Okay, have I got something tasty for you.  And yes, I may be harping on (and on, and on) about Around My French Table, by Dorie Greenspan, but what can I say?  It's what I'm into at the moment, and it's a really big cookbook.  With a ton of tempting recipes.  That I absolutely must try.  And sometimes share. Forgive me.


So, today's treat?  Smoked Salmon Waffles.  I may be alone here, but these were, as far as my sieve-like memory is aware, my first savory waffles.  And I am a devoted waffle lover. (Have you tried Molly's waffle recipes on Orangette, by the way?  Go there. Make them.  Eat them.  And love them.)  Anyway, I've had savory crepes aplenty, scads of savory pancakes, but nary a savory waffle.  How odd.  I freaking love savory things.  


Right.  Conjure up a vision of light, yet richly flavored waffles, with tiny, barely noticeable slivers of smoked salmon frolicking throughout.  Just a hint of salty smokiness in the background, nothing aggressive that hits you over the head.  Which we do try to avoid first thing in the morning.  I don't know where you were last night, after all.  Garnish that richness with a little lemon and chive scented sour cream.  Perfect for a late breakfast or brunch.  Or lunch. Or a grab-one-whenever-you're-hungry sort of snack, which is exactly how my kids rolled, with the leftovers.



Smoked Salmon Waffles - Adapted from Around My French Table
-makes 8 waffles


1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 3/4 cups whole milk (*see note)
2 large eggs
6 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
3 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into slivers
5 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
3 Tbs snipped fresh chives, or more scallions, plus more for sprinkling


*Note:  I didn't have whole milk, so I substituted with 1 cup 2% and 3/4 cup half and half.  Worked great.  Just saying, get creative if you have to.


Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  In a large measuring cup with spout, or a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and melted butter.  Pour the liquids over the dry ingredients and stir together gently. (You'll have some lumps, don't worry, that's fine, better than beating the living daylights out of the batter and ending up with heavy waffles.)  Stir in smoked salmon, chives, and scallions.  Let the batter rest, covered, at room temperature for up to an hour.  (I let mine rest for half an hour, hungry kids, after all!)


Follow the directions for your waffle iron, using about 1/2 (or so) a cup of batter per waffle.  My batter was very thick, but who knows, yours could turn out differently, and that's just fine.


Garnish each waffle with a dollop of creme fraiche, or lemon scented sour cream, recipe follows.  Dorie recommends also adding a little salmon roe, but as my normally huge supply of fish eggs was, for the moment, depleted (ha), we omitted that one.


Lemon and Chive Scented Sour Cream


1/2 cup sour cream
zest from one small lemon (or half of one large lemon)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp snipped chives
freshly ground pepper


Mix it all together, that's it!


Enjoy your brekkie!


Do you have an outstanding waffle recipe to share?  Leave me a comment, if you do!











No comments:

Post a Comment